Lennie plays second clarinet in the school orchestra and has always happily been second fiddle to her charismatic older sister, Bailey. Then Bailey dies suddenly, and Lennie is left at sea without her anchor. Overcome by emotion, Lennie soon finds herself torn between two boys: Bailey's boyfriend, Toby, and Joe, the charming and musically gifted new boy in town. While Toby can't see her without seeing Bailey and Joe sees her only for herself, each offers Lennie something she desperately needs. But ultimately, it's up to Lennie to find her own way toward what she really needs-without Bailey. A remarkable debut novel perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen, Deb Caletti, and Francesca Lia Block. (click here to learn more)
- Lennie comes cascading off the page in raw emotional notes. Hm let's see, she is a total bookworm/ lasagna maker/ band geek. That is a character I can relate to.
- I loved how there were little notes everywhere in the book, it made it fun to turn the page and BAM there is a crushed cup with scribbles on it.
- Joe- Sweet, magical, and sort of like drinking sunlight from the book. Yeah I wrote that...
- Music is her passion, you can tell it's something important to her, keeping her grounded.
- The adventures her and Bails fictitiously send their mother on to answer the question what happened to her.
- I loved Sarah, Lennie's best friend, and her tendency to use animals in place of curse words when excited or angry. She cracked me up.
- Her family, Gran and Uncle Big, make things funny yet heart breaking.
- Joe's nick name for Lennie. John Lennon.
- You can't ignore the chemistry between Joe and Lennie, it was too cute!
- Someone once told me repetition means it's important so: THE NOTES! They are like little pieces of Lennie's soul and story.
- Toby- In the beginning I understood but after a while I didn't get it. She herself says he's like her brother, who wants to kiss there brother?
Mm. Remember how I said that Joe was like drinking sunlight? I think this book can apply to that statement. Real raw emotions mixed with falling in love in a perfect combination. Besides sunshine tastes sooo good.