July 04, 2012

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga


Description:
What if the world's worst serial killer...was your dad? 

Jasper (Jazz) Dent is a likable teenager. A charmer, one might say. But he's also the son of the world's most infamous serial killer, and for Dear Old Dad, Take Your Son to Work Day was year-round. Jazz has witnessed crime scenes the way cops wish they could--from the criminal's point of view. And now bodies are piling up in Lobo's Nod. In an effort to clear his name, Jazz joins the police in a hunt for a new serial killer. But Jazz has a secret--could he be more like his father than anyone knows?

Epic Wins: 
  • Last Summer I picked up Slice of Cherry from B&N in hopes for an intense serial killer read. What I got was good but it didn't exactly scratch the itch I hoped it would. As soon as I saw I Hunt Killers I know it would be what I had looked for in SoC, and it was. It was all that and more. 
  • Jazz- He is constantly trying to battle the 'Billy' side of himself or we could call it his serial killer instincts. This inner conflict makes Jazz a totally unique character. When you are raised by a serial killer to 'carry on his legacy' you tend to stand out. Despite his upbringing Jazz uses his powers for good. (Not super human powers but the ability to serial kill. That didn't clarify anything did it?)
  • Howie- The comedic relief and therefore one of my favorite characters. He was always making light of the situation and brought that buoyant atmosphere to the book. He was annoyingly positive. 
  • Connie- She was Jazz's anchor, the thing that kept him human and reminded him who he really was. 
  • Quote- "People matter, he countered, People are real." - Pg 64 (of the arc)  
  • Quote- "Watch it, man," I will bleed all over you." - Pg 344 (of the arc)
  • A call-me-weird moment- I like learning and reading about serial killers... something about their patters and the reasoning they use interest me immensely. I love the fact that Lyda dug deep into the world of serial killers and showed us the inside workings. He created this brilliant trial for Jazz to have to triumph over.  
  • I love how Jazz, despite his urge to become a killer, helped the police. Not only did he help them but he enjoyed helping them. 
  • The Gory and the Gruesome- Murder, blood, the sick thoughts of a serial killer. Creepy but through Jazz it's impossible not to love it. (That didn't come out right *rolls eyes* plus it makes me sound creepy.)
  • Message 1- The true test is not the trials in life but how we deal with the trials and what we take from them. 
  • Message 2- Lobo's nod? A very dangerous place to live. ( for your information Lobo's Nod isn't an actual town this just sounded funny in my head)
  • Message 3- We may not be on the verge of becoming a serial killer but we need to remember that people DO matter. 
  • Message 4- The choices you make are the only things that matter- not your parents, your situation, or even your thoughts- your choices and your actions make all the difference. 

Overall: Creepy. Funny. Perfect. Lyga blends the characters, plot, and setting just right for a story worth reading. I Hunt Killers is a bold, new kind of story.  

Adieu, 
-Kare

1 comment:

  1. Exciting story! Mystery thriller that everybody will love. I admire how Jazz took the situation. Definitely a must read story.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.