November 04, 2011

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater





Description:
It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line. Some riders live. Others die. 

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them. 

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn’t given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen



Epic Wins:
  • I loved the way Maggie intertwined the voice of Puck Connolly and Sean Kingston. 
  • Puck- She was fierce, smart, and above all she's a one of a kind character that you can't help but root for. 
  • Sean- He was quiet, ready, and controlled. He didn't love easily but when he did it ran deep through to his veins. 
  • Sean and Puck's love formed from a mutual respect for each other. It wasn't instant and it flowed evenly. 
  • Killer horses- These creatures were fantastic in my head litterally racing through my mind. A beautifully recreated myth. 
  • The setting- Thisby is an island, I'm guessing off of England, that is like another world. I couldn't quite put a time period on this book but it didn't matter all that much. 
  • George Holly- Honestly? He reminded me, not sure why, of Gatsby from The Great Gatsby. The nice clothes, the huge fortune, the funky hat, and just the way he spoke. All of his words were important. 
  • The  ending was perfect through my eyes and I couldn't/wouldn't ask for a sequel
Epic Fails:
  • The Malverns- Rich,  powerful, and they like to play games with people's lives for fun.
Overall:
A masterful piece of literature that will always reside on my favorites shelf. 


just sayin, 
-Kare

3 comments:

  1. I'm so looking foward to reading this book. I've heard so many great things. I have read a few books and I love her writing style.

    Plus I can't wait to read about these killer horse things. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review! I agreed with everything you said except the fact that you didn't want a sequel! This book left me dying for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading this so much. I love how this sounds so much different than anything else that's out there right now.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.