Sam thinks she's months away from freedom. After spending her life in a secret school, rented out to the rich and powerful as a paranormal spy, she is ready to head to college like any normal eighteen-year-old.
Only Sam isn't normal. She reads minds. And just before her big going-away party, she links to the mind of a young man who changes everything.
Drake wasn't raised as a 'Rent-A-Kid.' He was kidnapped and taken there by force. But his exceptional physical strength and powers of mind control make him very dangerous, especially to Sam.When they meet, Sam is forced to face the truth of her situation, and to acknowledge that not all is as it seems in her picture-perfect world. For what awaits her on her eighteenth birthday isn't a trip to college, but an unexpected nightmare from which she may not be able to escape. To survive, they must work together. But will their powers be enough to save them before it's too late? (for more info click here)
- This book was short but still had a severely fast paced feel. You couldn't help but rush through it to find out what happens.
- The Powers- They all had these crazy-amazing super powers that seemed to meld with their personalities. The Twins- Sams's best friends- a wall-walker and a human lie detector. You can tell they are close and mean a lot to each other. Heck they even made up their own language!
- Same and Drake have this weird connection where they can talk/hear each other in their minds. Although they don't see eachother much they are always talking and know so much about one another.
- Drake- You don't know much about him except that his life has been rough and that he could control others minds. He was a sweetheart nonetheless.
- Same- Always been a rule follower but suddenly she finds herself questioning her whole world. She was strong and daring, a true heroine.
- The Concept- A company rents out paranormal kids to people who can afford to spend a lot. This idea sure got my attention. Add a girl trying to figure out the secrets of the said company and the boy who was kidnapped and presto, you have one heck of a ride!
- The twists aren't even hinted at and you would never guess then until you read- they totally threw me for a loop.
- I think some of the characters need some solid fleshing out and a bit more dialogue.
Overall: I am pretty sure I can't wait for the second book to find out what happens to Sam and Drake. A thrilling, fast, paranormal read that I so enjoyed.