April 11, 2012

Through the Ears of Angela Carling



Today let's welcome Angela Carling!

Me and music we go way back.  The story is kind of interesting actually.  I was raised by my dad for a large chunk of my life, including my teenage years.  He had two teenage daughters to manage all by himself and it was no small feat that we all survived.  Once my sister made him so angry that he actually grounded me for being related to her.  I digress.  I do that sometimes.

Anyway, I grew up on good old fashion rock and roll.  More often than not, it wasn’t the TV blaring at our house, it was stereo.  The rolling stones, Abba, Olivia Newton John, Cool and the Gang, you name it we listened to it.  We watched music countdown TV shows and listened to the top forty count down every week on the radio. I remember closing the blinds as a teenager because my dad was dancing(in my opinion, badly) and I was embarrassed in front of the neighbors.  Music was like air in my house and like air, I didn’t see its affect on me until I was a lot older.  


Now we have to go back even a little farther.  My biological mom was young when she got pregnant with me.  She struggled to decide what was best for me, even tried to keep me for several week.  In the end, she wanted me to have both a mother and father, and she had me adopted.  Ironically, my adopted mother was diagnosed with cancer less than a year after my legal adoption and died within two years.  Do I digress again?  Actually no,  I have a point this time.  When I was fourteen, I tried out for concert choir at my school.  By the next year, I was involved in both choir and Madrigals (a small specialized music group) and music, not just listening to, but also singing and performing, became a huge part of my teenage life. I performed all the way through college.


Now as for writing, I’m absolutely useless if the TV or radio is on when I am actually producing new ideas.  Partly because the music just draws me in, but that does not mean music doesn’t profoundly affect my writing.  Now I have teenage sons and I’m always siphoning off their music and as I listen, my mind come alight with ideas and my heart fills with emotion that gives those ideas depth and makes them powerful enough that my writing can reach your senses and your heart.  The most ironic thing of all is that when I was about sixteen, I was washing the car with my dad and he told me that my biological mother had been a young music major in college when she got unexpectedly pregnant.  


Clearly, music is in my blood and carves who I am, which in turn powerfully affects what I write. Want to hear me sing….I’ll have to think about that.



Thank you so much for stopping by Angela!!

Angela's Book:
Jennie Townsend is unlucky in love, so she is immediately suspicious when a mysterious new student named Nate tries to gain her friendship. But there is something special about Nate, and in spite of her best efforts Jennie finds her feelings for the boy growing deeper every day.
In fact, Nate is more special than Jennie can even imagine. He is a guardian angel, sent to protect Jennie during a most dangerous time in her life. To do so, he must first become close to her - but not too close. The rules for Protectors warn against physical contact and strictly forbid falling in love. But the more time Nate spends with Jennie, the harder the rules are to follow. Will Nate be able to save Jennie from a premature end, or will his own emotions - and Jennie's - get in the way of completing the task for which he was specifically chosen?
With Unbreakable Love, Angela Carling has created a captivating story for young adult readers, with a refreshing twist on relationship issues. It is an ode to the magical power of true love, a tribute to belief in a benevolent higher power that watches over us and surrounds us every day of our lives.

To find out more about Angela and her books check out these links: Website- Blog - Goodreads: Book  -Author - Twitter - Facebook


just sayin,
-Kare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.