August 24, 2012

The Ghost and the Goth by Stacey Kade



Description: Alona Dare–Senior in high school, co-captain of the cheerleading squad, Homecoming Queen three years in a row, voted most likely to marry a movie star… and newly dead. I’m the girl you hated in high school. Is it my fault I was born with it all-good looks, silky blond hair, a hot bod, and a keen sense of what everyone else should not be wearing? But my life isn’t perfect, especially since I died. Run over by a bus of band geeks—is there anything more humiliating? As it turns out, yes—watching your boyfriend and friends move on with life, only days after your funeral. And you wouldn’t believe what they’re saying about me now that they think I can’t hear them. To top it off, I’m starting to disappear, flickering in and out of existence. I don’t know where I go when I’m gone, but it’s not good. Where is that freaking white light already?

Will Killian–Senior in high school, outcast, dubbed “Will Kill” by the popular crowd for the unearthly aura around him, voted most likely to rob a bank…and a ghost-talker. I can see, hear, and touch the dead. Unfortunately, they can also see, hear and touch me. Yeah, because surviving high school isn’t hard enough already. I’ve done my best to hide my “gift.” After all, my dad, who shared my ability, killed himself because of it when I was fifteen. But lately, pretending to be normal has gotten a lot harder. A new ghost—an anonymous, seething cloud of negative energy with the capacity to throw me around—is pursuing me with a vengeance. My mom, who knows nothing about what I can do, is worrying about the increase in odd incidents, my shrink is tossing around terms like “temporary confinement for psychiatric evaluation,” and my principal, who thinks I’m a disruption and a faker, is searching for every way possible to get rid of me. How many weeks until graduation?



Epic Wins:
  • The Ghost- Normally I would be hesitant with a popular girl as a main character but Alona was different. She was fierce, brutally honest, and snarky. At times I wanted to slap her in face because of her rudeness but other times I wanted to hug her. She has this determination that can’t be stopped, even by death.
  • The Goth- As if being singled out by his principle wasn’t enough Will also has to deal with a legion of ghosts, a mother who is ready to put him in the psych ward, and a mysterious, violent spirit. Add Alona to that list and Will has a very complicated life. He brims with positivity despite everything. I love how he smeared the stereo type he was given, he was so much more then a Goth.
  • The concept- Popular girl dies and the only person who can see her is the Goth boy she frowns on. I love stories based on irony so I knew this one would be good. I was not disappointed.
  • The In-between- I loved the way Kade set up the world that Alona finds herself in. It’s fragile and changing and she never really knows what is going to happen next much less the power she still has.
  • I loved the way Kade put Wills ability to see and hear ghosts in terms of schizophrenia. It makes sense to cover it that way.
  • The alternate points of view- This story was very well balanced by the two main characters. It just flowed from one character to the next.
  • Kade- She is kind of my idol right now. I wish I had written this book because it was so funny and flawless. I’m a fan.
  • Message 1- Being nice is always the key. Whether it’s while talking to your principle or trying to get to the great beyond a bit of kindness will see you through.
  • Message 2- Never make assumptions about people, sometimes you come out dead wrong. This is seen with Alona, Will, and their principle they all miss judge people.
  • Message 3- Everyone has tattered edges in their lives, others are just more apparent then most.
  • Message 4- Telling the truth, as crazy as it sounds sometimes, will always be more productive then trying to hide it. 

Overall: I am putting this book on my favorites and reading the next one. I can’t wait to jump back into this story. I’d place this book between Paranormalcy and Bad Taste in boys. So glad I finally got to read this, it was exactly what I wanted.

Adieu, 
Kare

1 comment:

  1. I have been wanting to read this book. I almost bought it at Barnes and Noble last week but got something else instead. Should have bought it anyway lol. Thanks for sharing. Good to hear it was one of your favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.