August 30, 2012

Winter Girls by Laurie Halse Anderson



Description: Lia and Cassie were best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies. But now Cassie is dead. Lia's mother is busy saving other people's lives. Her father is away on business. Her step-mother is clueless. And the voice inside Lia's head keeps telling her to remain in control, stay strong, lose more, weigh less. If she keeps on going this way—thin, thinner, thinnest—maybe she'll disappear altogether. In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the National Book Award finalist Speak, best-selling author Laurie Halse Anderson explores one girl's chilling descent into the all-consuming vortex of anorexia. (read more about it here)

Epic Wins:

  • Anderson basically cracked a girls head open, stole the thoughts, and wrote them down. You can tell she worked hard to master this book and it paid off.
  • It’s real, raw, and yeah maybe a little depressing a times but it showed me a window into the soul of another person as their darkest hour came to a close and the sun rose.
  • Hope. Yes the world is awful and helpless at times but there is hope for a better future.
  • Lia- I loved watching Lia change and make serious realizations about herself and her situation. She was complex, relatable, and stubborn.
  • Lia would have a thought and but it would be crossed out and a new one replaced it. At first I thought this was odd but as Lia told me her story it all made sense and it went well with her personality. I found that I enjoyed it in the end.
  • Elijah- He was one of those characters that Lia runs into and he changes her way of thinking, he changes her life dramatically.
  • The way Lia loves Emma is so cute. They have this adorable relationship that is nice to see. Emma is her one ray of sunshine through her grim days.
  • No romance. This sounds like it should be a fail but I have my reasons. Every book presents a problem and usually it is solved via the romance. Not this one. This one proved that you have to go through these things alone sometimes; there won’t always be a cute boy as a reward. I liked that.
  • This book had an eerie beauty to it. It was bold, daring, and raw but most of all it was beautiful.


Overall: Heart-breakingly beautiful. This is a story that you don't want to miss!

Adieu,
-Kare

1 comment:

  1. I have always passed this book up for one reason or another. I have had it in my hands to purchase so many times and now your review makes me regret putting it back on the shelf so many times.

    It sounds like this is a beautiful story that I need to get my hands on.

    Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.