January 30, 2013

Flash Reviews


Bits about books I've Read.

North Of Beautiful by Justine Chen Headley

Flash: This was an amazingly written book. A people mapmaker/artist Terra finds the beauty in who she is despite her flaws. She embraces who she is fully. This book covers all the bases. A girl standing on rocky ground trying to figure out who she is? Check! A boy who loves her for who she is? Check! A family in disarray? Check! A mental trip to China? Check! Redemption for even the characters you spend the whole book hating? Check! This book floored me and that's all I have to say. 

Quotes: 
“Getting lost is just another way of saying 'going exploring.” 

“Beauty--real everlasting beauty--lives not on our faces, but in our attitude and our actions. It lives in what we do for ourselves and for others.” 

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Flash: 1.Libba Bray is very, very good at sarcasm. 2. The unique range of characters, feminists to some very sexy pirates. 3. Censorship addressed. 4. Silly ads on some of the pages that resemble the way EVERYTHING these days has a billion ads. 5. Very well developed characters. 6. British guys (this may be related to the sexy pirates I mentioned before). 7. Growing up and finding just where you stand. 8. You won't find any girls just waiting to be saved in this book, no these girls take charge and thrive. 

Quote:

“There was something about the island that made the girls forget who they had been. All those rules and shalt nots. They were no longer waiting for some arbitrary grade. They were no longer performing. Waiting. Hoping. They were becoming. They were.” 


Flash: I had a real fun time with April and her crazy story. It was funny, realistic (well to a point), and easy to slip into. Aprils voice was funny and for the most part light hearted. Hudson was my favorite, non judgmental  sweet, and, oh yeah, adorable. That ending was perfect, it wasn't perfect in the sense that everything wrapped up nicely but it was a good way to end a story. 

Quotes:
“No one was perfect. But we all did the best we could. I guessed you had to forgive when you could, move on when you couldn't, and love your family and friends for who they were instead of punishing them for who they weren't.” 

“We're all crazy. What's your specific form of crazy?” 

-Kare Out-

3 comments:

  1. I Flippin' Love North of Beautiful. One of my favorites and most recommended.

    P.S. Hey Again

    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems you may have liked Beauty Queens a smidge better than myself. I enjoyed it, but I felt like there was something missing. I have North of Beautiful on my shelf... I'm really interested to read that one. And 10 Things We Did! Sounds like so much fun.

    I love mini reviews. I hope that they show up more in the blogosphere. I've taken to doing them for some non-review books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the first book but I really liked the other two books you mentioned here. Lots of funny moments!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.