Description: Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
- Nerdy Alert: The amount of Poe that is packed into this novel is astounding. It's dark and twisty like you expect from something Poe but with a paranormal twist.
- Half of the story is Poe and the darkness that surrounds him and his writing. The other half is the ups and downs of Isobel and Varens rocky friendship.
- This book is sooo dark. I mean really dark. I could feel the heaviness in my mind. That was that great thing about it though one minute you are in the depths of darkness and all the sudden the spazzy best friend makes a comment that is so funny it pulls you out of the pool of darkness you were just submerged in. It's like a small breath of fresh air.
- Varen- Typical emo kid, right? Wrong! He is like several levels of deep and stoic but he has a sweet side. Keep holding that pink ribbon dude, I'm so rooting for you.
- Isobel- She was described as the cheerleading popular girl type. This was actually a turn off as I read the description and I expected to totally hate Isobel. However! She was not the typical popular girl, though she does have her moments. I ended up really liking her.
- Gwen- She was my favorite!! She is the silly/dorky best friend but so hilarious. She was the light hearted side of this story, the best type of character.
- Can you feel the love tonight?- ahem. Of course there is a love story. Their relationship is kind of like Darcy and Elizabeth, they can't stand each other but fall for each other regardless.
- Creepy things that go bump in the night- There were so many creatures and things that went along with this world that were awesome. Lets just say I wouldn't want to 'meet' any of these things late at night.
- I want to go back to this world, slip back into Isobel's world.
Overall: IN LOVE. MIND BLOWN. I so want to be back in this world as soon as possible!!