April 28, 2011

We are talking triangles today



Topic: The Love Triangle

Okay let me start out by clarifying: It is not a TRIANGLE it is a V a big fat, stupid V. 

Here is the logic 

The Triangle:



Triangle= Girl likes Boy1 + Girl likes Boy2 + Boy1 likes Boy2

or 

Triangle = Girl likes Boy1 + Girl likes Boy2 + Boy1 is friends with Boy2

The V:



A Love V= Girl likes Boy1 + Girl like Boy 2

I don't know what you were taught but that is how I see it. 

Now I must share my opinion of said and clarified Love V. I HATE THEM!! Yep that will do it. Oh you want me to explain? Okay. Some girls are having a hard enough time finding one guy, how is it that most female literary character have two perspective loves?  It bugs me that these character fall into insta-love (that is another post)  then realize they also love this other person too. I get that you CAN love multiple people but it doesn't sit well with me. That is all.

Some books (off the top of my head, mind you) that have the dreadful V:
  • Twilight
  • Hex Hall (series)
  • The Hunger Games
  • The Iron Fey
  • The Liar Society
  • The Mortal Instruments
  • Clockwork Angel
  • The Ugly Series
  • Wither

Yes these books are all wonderful, but they all have that twisted V. I just don't like it but it will always be in books so I guess I just have to deal with it. 

What do you think about Love Triangles (as they are called) ?

just sayin,
-Kare

6 comments:

  1. I loath love triangles. Firstly, like you've pointed out, they're completely unrealistic, and I don't see how anyone can relate to them. How many of us have been or know someone who has been in a real life love triangle?

    Secondly, love triangles tend to make me dislike and lose respect for the heroine. In my mind, the way she flip flops between the two guys, makes her wishy-washy, shallow, and selfish.

    And I have yet to read a love triangle that was actually suspenseful and contributed in some meaningful way to the story. Right from the start, the reader knows without a doubt which one of the two guys will end up being "the one". The other guy just gets strung along and then tossed aside.

    I really wish that authors jumped off this bandwagon and fast. I also sometimes wonder if authors are pressured to add love triangles to their stories or do they truly like writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love triangles can be done well, but I think there are too many out there that all have the same principle. And then I really feel sorry for the other guy because he's often kind and cute and he's just being thrown aside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't consider Hunger Games a love V until the third book, but I knew from the start how it was going to be.

    As for me, I'm guilty for the triangle. I wanted to see what it would be like to have a triangle in which both guys are jerks and incredibly flawed. I have yet to see it, so I decided to try and write it myself. It's easier to create conflict with a triangle instead of actually character development as far as most YA books are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god. Thank you for posting this. I feel the Exact. Same. Way.

    Okay, I don't really hate them. I love them and all but I feel like they're getting so...I don't even know how to explain it. I know a ton of girls (including myself) that are single and would like boyfriends. But no guys are interested in us (yay forever alone :P).

    I'm not really sure how all of these YA females happen to have no, no, not one but two guys wanting her. In some cases more guys are interested too but the girl doesn't like him.

    This never happens in real life. Why can't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true! I have read books with genuine love triangles, 'course, but most of the so-called YA romance love triangles are indeed Vs. I think in some cases love triangles can be acceptable, but only if it really contributes to the story-- rather than just throwing two hot guys or hot girls (though you don't see many of them in triangles) into the formula to try to be like the bestsellers.

    I definitely agree with Marg about one thing, though: heroines who can't decide are so wishy-washy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Love triangles annoy me. I mean when does that actually happen in real life? I kind of got over it in The Hunger Games because it wasn't the main drive of the story but things like Twilight just turn me off completely. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.