October 03, 2010

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Description:


Meghan Chase has a secret destiny—one she could never have imagined…


Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school…or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.


But she could never have guessed the truth—that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face…and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.


Epic Wins: (beware it’s a long list)

  • Meghan Chase- Her love for her family radiates through everything she does. The fact that she is sucked into the fey world is because she is trying to save Ethan her half-brother. Also Meghan isn’t just a spoiled princess, in fact quite the opposite. Her family might not have had money but their love for each other was strong.
  • Puck always has a joke up his sleeve; the world was joke to him.
  • Nevernever- the fantasy world that houses the fey courts and the wyldwoods. This place, to me, was amazing and colorful. Bright and unknown. The things that could have been in it, the types of crazy trees. Let’s just say the setting was like rain in a drought for me. It was delicious, and I drank it till I was about to burst. My brain is still on a high from it.
  • I loved all the descriptions of the types of creatures they were unique compared to other books were there is only one or two type of creatures they seem barren compared to The Iron King (*cough* twilight *cough cough*) Sorry had a bit of a cough fit there. :D
  • One of my favorite things about this book was the pack rats. They were so cute (well in my head anyway). They were the kindest thing in the world of the Iron Fey, of all the barren things with in the land of iron fey the pack rats gave a hope that it wasn’t all bad.
  • The idea that human dreams fed the fey was cool. What I thought was even cooler (like Macarena status people-jk) was the fact that they had iron fey or technology fey. It was so innovative!
  • I really liked that human dreams would cause new fey to be created. (I think I mentioned it but I like that aspect so double love!)
  • Some of the aspects of the fey world were based off of Shakespeare’s play.
  • A bunch of super-packed-action that hits continually from page one. Needless to say a lot of adventure.
  • The cover is beautiful!
  • Uh Cute boys… (Need I say more?)
  • Major Cliff-hanger…

Epic Fails:

  • Fairies in general are overused in literature ( but I give props the author for a new way of presenting them… not an easy task)
  • Meghan was too trusting and made binding deals with random strangers.
  • She was also a major klutz. I mean really who, after her leg burns by rain drops, sticks hand into said rain to see if it too burns?
  • All creatures (well a lot of them anyway) were described as having sharp blue-glowing teeth. Slightly creepy.
  • Meghan had a hard choice to make Puck, her best friend/protector/comedic relief, or Ash, the one who masks his real emotions/really strong/saved her life 3 million times/loves her but promises to kill her. I mean who makes somebody make that choice. For the most part she chooses Ash as her lover as for my ‘team’ (ugh I hate using that word) I can’t choose. I’m at a loss both are satisfactory to me for now.



Overall:


This book blew my mind. It’s one of those were everything is perfect, a masterpiece. I can’t describe it with much more then remarkable. If you haven’t read it you need to! Now! I’m going to go get the sequel now…


just sayin,
-Kare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.