December 23, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



Description: 

It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.

Epic Wins:

This book didn’t fail, at all. OK so there was a lot of cursing and a scene where they were doing a health check when it gets awkward, nonetheless I refuse to count those as failures or oddities! I’ll start with the some of the characters.

  •           Death: He collects souls and one girl keeps popping up when he collects them. He ends up finding the girls book and telling her story.
  •            Liesel Meminger: The book thief, the young girl who sparks a curiosity within the narrator, Death. Her story is dark with vast spans of lit joy.
  •           Rudy Steiner: The lemon-haired boy who tries to charge Liesel with a kiss. Her best friend and partner in crime.
  •           Hans Huberman: Liesel’s foster father. He is the one who teaches the book thief how to read. He is my favorite character so Team Hans!!
  •          Rosa Huberman: Foul-mouthed foster mother to Liesel, but oh does she have her moments.
  •           Max Vandenberg: A Jewish fighter who lives in Liesel’s basement.
  •           The Mayor’s wife: The one with the library :)

You instantly fall in love with the characters and by the end you know them so well that they are a small part of you. This book gives you a new side, a new view. Were all the Germans actually Jew haters? Or were they like Hans, Rudy, and Liesel? Did they just go along with it because they had to?

This book (most likely the reason for my book a coma lately) broke my heart while at the same time mending it. Sweet like a single piece of candy shared between friends, sad like death, and funny as Hans himself. Even though I listened to this book, it was like I couldn’t put it down. I have learned to enjoy driving in my car due to this book. I will miss this book (Er um CD?) like none other.

I have to tell you this: I finished this book a while ago in tears and an overall mess, even now thinking about it I have tears in my eyes. This isn’t a book you take lightly, nor get over quickly like a silly,naive Ro-com. This one will stick with me forever. Along with the messages: Reading is powerful. Reading saves your life. Reading is something worth working your butt off just to fall down and have to get back up again. And life should be enjoyed as it comes, with each trial you have to find the good in the new circumstance. Just like Liesel. 


Overall:

Zusak's done it again, he has swept me into the story and won't let me go. I seriously can't wait for his next book. I know it will shock and amaze me yet again!

just sayin,
-Kare

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I loved this book and just did a review of it on my blog recently. Glad you liked the book too :D

    Brush Up On Your Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you just bumped this up on my TBR pile :-) Fab Review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm about to start this book and I've heard the most wonderful things about it. Glad to hear you enjoyed it! Makes me even more anxious.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.