December 14, 2010

Demonglass (Hex Hall 2) by Rachel Hawkins





Description:


Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch. 

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth. 

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers. 

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?



My Description:


So you thought Hex Hall was epic and spellbinding and all that jazz, just wait till you meet Demonglass. So Sophie, just as snarky if not more so, is still trying to get over last semesters crazy doings (you know killing demons and stuff like that) when her dad shows up. A man, whom up till now hadn’t really been around, decides to drag her snarky butt to England for the summer. He makes a deal with her that if she stays the summer with him at the Thorne mansion that she can go through the removal.
Demonglass is a window into her summer, one that will literally leave you breathless (I stopped breathing for a whole minute!) and asking for MORE!


Epic Wins:

  • Sophie: I just LOVE her snark. She always has a sarcastic comment about the situation. She, to me, is a very strong character with a crap-load of bravery. She has a heart and the last thing she wants is to hurt people, and is willing to hurt herself to protect others through the removal.
  • Cal: He isn't a new character but he moves forward from the background and joins the raging play. For the most part he hides his emotions and Sophie can’t read his mood most of the time. Just imagining his power, healing, is stimulating to my brain.
  • Jenna: she is still just as pink and spunky as ever and of course one of the best friends Sophie could ask for. Jenna is a part of the deal breaker of Sophie’s choice to go to England (well that and the rumors that Archer has been sighted there)!
  • Sophie’s dad: Ever wonder where Sophie got her lovable snark? Let’s just say it wasn’t from her mother. The mysterious man who has been absent from her life since forever, is now attempting to reach out and start that father/daughter relationship. I respect this man because of his actions towards the end, and he has some snark of his own. :)
  • Archer: You read the pages waiting for him to stab her in the back. You never get the satisfaction though. Sure there mortal enemies, destined to be set against one another, but for some reason they can’t get enough of each other. I mean come on, it’s the whole forbidden, Romeo and Juliet, love story type.
  • This book ends basically when all your questions are unanswered, makes for a huge cliff hanger.
  • The relating to Sophie: Her whole world is crashing down on her at once; this feeling is something that we all feel. Perhaps not the whole needing to find out who is raising demons dilemma but it’s similar.
  • The pace, you hit the ground running with no warm up and don’t stop till the end (which was like a car crashing into you so you are knocked unconscious- just sayin).



Epic Fails:

  • Cliffhanger: The ending, in a literary sense, is GENIUS! The hooks were so far in me that, when I finished the book, I could see the blood from where the hooks reside. Looking at it now I can tell why the author wrote it that way, but my thoughts were very different after finishing. It went along the lines of: “WHAT THE HECK?! THAT’S IT?!!!” Basically disgust was my emotion for a solid hour.



Overall:


Mmmm…LOVED IT! It was fast paced and held my attention. Hawkins did it again, she threw me for a loop and on to the wolves all while tying a neat bow over it all. Well done, a High Five is in order (say it like Dumbledore and it’s more entertaining). Check out my review of Hex Hall the first book in the series.


Just sayin,
-Kare

3 comments:

  1. This is a pretty exciting review, I want to read the book even more now, if that's possible! Awesome that you got to read it already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mkay so... I skimmed through this review since I obviously have not read it yet (awaiting for it in the mail! ;)), but AHH am I excited to read this or what?!

    Sooo, you mentioned Cal second. Love triangle?! Because I fell in love with Cal in Hex Hall (I mentioned him in my review, lol), and I want to see more of him.

    And Sophie. Gosh, I love Sophie. Her snarky commentary in Hex Hall was awesome. Half of my "memorable quotes" section was dedicated to things she said, lol! :)

    Gah, great. Now you're going to make me wait in front of the mailbox until I receive it. xD Can't waaaait!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.