Amber Appleton lives in a bus. Ever since her mom's boyfriend kicked them out, Amber, her mom, and her totally loyal dog, Bobby Big Boy (aka Thrice B) have been camped out in the back of Hello Yellow (the school bus her mom drives). Still, Amber, the self-proclaimed princess of hope and girl of unyielding optimism, refuses to sweat the bad stuff. But when a fatal tragedy threatens Amber's optimism--and her way of life, can Amber continue to be the rock star of hope? With an oddball cast of characters, and a heartwarming, inspiring story, this novel unveils a beautifully beaten-up world of laughs, loyalty, and hard-earned hope.
- Amber Appleton is the character that you want to be. The kind that no matter how dark the tunnel is she sees the light at the end . She totally rocked my brain!!
- Bobby Big Boy –aka Thrice B- He was Amber’s dog. Not a huge amount of YA characters have pets and I love pets!! Also he was a HUGE part of the story, and he was totally the cutest character hands down.
- Franks Freak Force Federation- The video game loving bunch of misfits. This group is made up of Amber and her friends. They are Amber’s rock when she needs it most.
- The idea of being a rock star to all of these people she knows. It gives you chills to know the ability one person has on a million different people.
- I picked up this book because of the character vows never to lose hope. Those are my favorite types of characters, the ones who refuse to give up even in the deepest dark.
- Joan of Old- The negative Nancy at the nursing home where Amber visits. Joan and Amber battle it up. One trying to force the other to cry, the other trying for a smile let the battle begin!!
- Donna is Amber’s rock star. She only hopes to be as kick-butt as Donna. Amber is also sort of a rock star to Donna at times.
- The message: Hope. Hope till it’s the only thing you have!! Sure that glass is only half full but it’s filled with a super yummy liquid that one sip is like sunshine and cupcakes and summons a unicorn for you to ride.
- Amber is OFFICALLY my favorite character. She is bright, hopeful/hope spreader, and funny. And a good burst of sunshine.
- Privet Jackson – PJ is the Haiku writer who suffered through Vietnam. He writes awesome Haikus!!
- The mom and Amber moments were sweet to read.
Sometimes a good book comes along and slaps you in the face. It wakes you up. It opens your eyes, it makes you want to be a better you. This is that book, and it’s totally hug-able!! A new favorite of mine, may Amber always rock in your heart. You should get this book. True? True!
“Whenever someone looks at me like they want to stomp my face in, I now look the person in the eyes, smile really huge, wave and say, “Hope you’re havin’ a great day!” It’s pretty wild, because doing this really works. If you don’t believe me, try it yourself. Even the meanest-looking people will get this really stunned look on their faces, but then the smile blooms, and they usually wave back and say something like “God bless you” or “Same to you!” It’s a pretty cool trick. And maybe even a pretty killer way of life, if you are a crazy spiritual ho like me. True? True."