January 02, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

Description:
Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18B. Hadley's in 18A. 

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. (click here to learn more)



10 things I love about TSPoLaFS:
  1. The 24 hour effect- There are only so many books that do this well. This book, I am happy to say, did this well. 
  2. Insta- love and love at first sight are very different concepts that get blurred a lot in my mind and this book reminded me that as much as I hate insta-love I adore love at first sight. 
  3. Hadley is a character that was easy to relate to because she kept wishing that life would go back to how it was and truthfully I think we all wish that at some point in our lives. 
  4. Oliver- First, he's British how can you not be dazzled by that? Second, he is entirely funny and makes Hadley's trip at least bearable. 
  5. Messages- Love; it can happen anywhere with in any time frame. Always tell family you love them, you never know when they will be gone. Sometimes things we associate as the worst are truly the best. 
  6. London is one of those settings that I never get tired of reading about and Smith had me walking right behind Hadley, experiencing it in a whole new way.
  7. "And O there are days in this life, worth life and worth death." - Charles Dickens (our mutual friend). When YA characters, like Oliver, get excited about books it makes me smile. Aside form that it gets me excited about reading the classics, like Our Mutual Friend, that they love. 
  8. That title! Though long its amazingly genius. It ties in so well with the story and the characters. 
  9. The plot was pretty much predictable but it had a few surprising twists to it.
  10. When Oliver and Hadley talked it was always with this witty banter, something old friends would do. Most of the time they left me in giggle fits. #NapkinDoodles
Overall:
 A book with a beautiful message that carries you into a world of love at first sight and the crazy probabilities of two people meeting and falling in love. 


just sayin, 
-Kare

3 comments:

  1. Awww yay! I'm so glad you liked this one! I've been wanting to read this one for so long, so you're review makes me want to read it even more! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that this book takes place in a 24hour time span and I love how you said there's a difference between insta-love and love at first sight, totally agree! After reading your review I definitely need to read this book very soon, I can't wait to start swooning over the British Oliver haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful review! and sounds like such a fun, lighthearted read that could get me out of this reading slump!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.