January 20, 2012

Willow by Julia Hoban

Description: Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, sixteen-year- old Willow's parents drank too much wine and asked her to drive them home. They never made it - Willow lost control of the car and her parents died in the accident. Now she has left behind her old home, friends, and school, and blocks the pain by secretly cutting herself. But when Willow meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is, she begins an intense, life-changing relationship that turns her world upside down. Told in an arresting, fresh voice, Willow is an unforgettable novel about one girl's struggle to cope with tragedy, and one boy's refusal to give up on her. (click here to learn more)

Epic Wins:
  • Willow- I know when you think about a person who cuts you don't think funny, smart, or vibrant. You think dark, solem, and depressed. Willow had her dark times but outside of those times she was... vibrant!
  • Guy- He was so patient, thoughtful, and sweet. He cared for Willow so much despite her coping mechenism. I really like this guy (pun INTENDED). 
  • The narration was cool, it wasn't Willows point of view but her thoughts, feelings were interjected a lot. 
  • The idea that people suffer whether you care to notice or not. Some people suffer in silence while others are more profound so never assume someone is just fine. 
  • This is pretty much irrelevant to the story but at each chapter there were scratch marks as a design. As you got to the end they decreased until they were gone.
  • She was a book nerd. Yep she is one of us! She even worked in a library, the place she met Guy.
  • This book really opened my eyes and showed me that not everyone who cuts is just a weirdo out for attention. I admit it, yes, I was one of THOSE people. The people who assumed those sort of things. It never struck me that maybe they are just normal people who have been through tough times. 


Epic Fails:
  • There is a sex scene towards the end. 

Overall: 
Willow = Vibrant. If nothing else remember that. We never know someones situation and judging them based on their means to cope is wrong. Though I don't agree with her methods I know Willow has taught me to NEVER assume you know why people do what they do.


just sayin, 
-Kare

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this book helped you understand that people who cut are just like everyone else. I wish people in my high school would have been required to read this book, I think it would have been easier on me. When I was reading this book I didn't notice the cut marks on the chapter pages and how they go out towards the end, so cool! I loved Guy too, his patience was just incredible. This book helped me so much, I loved it! Thanks for this great review Kare! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol is it funny that I find your Epic Fail to be a win in my book. I read adult romance from time to time so a sex scene really doesn't bother me. In fact I love when teen authors push the envelope and include something that most teen stories don't.

    Thanks for the great review, I need to pull this one off my shelf soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.