May 03, 2012

Author Interview with Steve Finegan



Today I am interviewing Steve Finegan, author of Into the Mist: Silver Hand. Welcome Steve!

What was your latest epic win? Epic fail?

Epic fail, immediately followed by epic win: Allowing my golden retriever, Cooper, to somehow lock me out of the house, which left him inside with several bulging grocery bags just waiting to be pillaged. Freaking out about it. Then remembering that I gave a key to my neighbor in case I ever locked myself out. I patted myself on the back for days after. The laughable part was explaining to my neighbor that my dog locked me out of my house. (btw, unbelievable as it sounds, Cooper didn’t go for the food.)  
 
What are your thoughts on your book being turned into a movie?
I got my start as a screenwriter, so naturally I’ve thought about that. Truth is, I pitched the concept for INTO THE MIST to a movie producer a four years ago, and he told me it’d make a great book. But there’s definitely a movie in it. If you read it, you’ll “see” that, or you should. My writing style is totally cinematic, meaning: I do my best to show (i.e., let the reader experience) everything with very little, if any, telling. My primary vehicle for doing this is the dramatic scene. I write scenes, and sequences of scenes, and acts. Simple. I get into scenes late and out early, and I cut, dissolve or fade between them, creating a logical narrative flow that doesn’t require narration. If the words get in the way, the cinematic flow breaks down. I suggest you read SILVER HAND and decide if I’ve accomplished my objective. 
 
What is the last book you read?
Madeline Miller’s THE SONG OF ACHILLES

 
In three words describe yourself:
Light and shadow (like every mortal ever born)

 
One question you wish you had a definitive answer to:
Is there an afterlife of any kind or is this it?

 
A quote you live by:
“Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make proud.”  

I
f you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
Not sure I’d like to be a superhero, unless you count Gandalf and Merlin as superheroes. 
 
If given a time machine would you go back to the past or into the future?
The past. Classical Greece, Rome, Celtic-Roman Britain – for sure.

 
Do you have any projects in the works? If so can you tell us about any of them?
Of course, book 2 of my INTO THE MIST series, BRINGER OF THE DAWN. I’m taking a break from writing to answers these questions. DAWN will complete the two-part series, but remain opened-ended enough to continue if that’s what I want to do. No spoilers. :)



Thanks so much for stopping by and answering my questions. Make sure to check out Steve Fineagan's book Into the Mist: Silver Hand (description below).


Into the Mist: Silver Hand by Steve Finegan- 



Description: Thirteen-year-old Gabe Wrenn has always taken refuge in his imagination. Refuge from his hovering mom and bullying brother. Refuge from the smirks and stares of his classmates. Refuge from his epilepsy. But now his imagination seems to be running wild. And he can’t stop it. And the only person Gabe can confide in is a girl who thinks his "weird brain" is the key to unlocking the secret of the Brynmor Witch.


just sayin,
-Kare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.