September 13, 2010

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare



Here we go! I’m trying something new with my reviews. I love lists so I’ll be including a list of why I loved it (epic wins) and what I thought was odd or didn’t like (epic fail).



Description:


Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.



Epic Wins:
  • The cover: it is beyond beautiful ( I mean just look at it)
  • Tessa: I loved her strength. The thing I loved most was, that despite the fact that few females in that time read books, that she was a book nerd (a level that I deeply connect with! who doesn't?)
  • London: The setting in my head was marvelous, cloudy and grey but always so beautiful.
  • The Shadowhunters world: I like how it was a different setting but the same magical world.
  • The ending: Probably the most epic of all endings. Can’t say much else, don’t want to spoil it.

Epic Fail:


The only thing I found that I didn’t like was the similarities between the characters in Mortal Instruments and the Infernal Devices. I matched up similar personalities and found a lot of similar characters. I really don’t consider this a bad thing necessarily, just weirdly familiar. Here is a list of who I put together (let me know if you think otherwise I would love to know who you think matches better) 


ID Characters v.s. MI characters:
  • Will and Jace- They both have an arrogance about them, they act like they don’t care but underneath it all they do.
  • Tessa and Clary- Confused by this new world they have found. They both have unique gifts that introduce them to the Shadowhunters.
  • Jessamine and Izzy- They are both incredibly beautiful (well in the way the character talks of them they do). They seem to care about fashion (a little too much in my opinion :).
  •  Jem and Simon- When the main character needs them they are there. They give her advice and everything becomes clear when they are around. They deal with what problems they have in secret.
Like I said this is just more of an oddity that I noticed than an actual Fail!


Overall:


 I loved this book it was so much better (in my small unimportant opinion) than City of Bones. I am now going to finish the MI books because of CA!


just sayin,
-Kare

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.