September 15, 2010

Wildthorn by Jane Eagland



Description:


Seventeen-year-old Louisa Cosgrove longs to break free from her respectable life as a Victorian doctor's daughter. But her dreams become a nightmare when Louisa is sent to Wildthorn Hall: labeled a lunatic, deprived of her liberty and even her real name. As she unravels the betrayals that led to her incarceration, she realizes there are many kinds of prison. She must be honest with herself - and others - in order to be set free. And love may be the key...


Epic Wins:

  • Great Idea: LOVED the concept and the way the author illustrates it.
  • Vivid descriptions- The way the pain of the main character is described you really feel as if you are there experiencing it.
  • Turns that keep you guessing: You have to keep guessing who throws her into the Wildthorne mess and why or if it was just a misunderstanding.
  • Writing was great: The author creates this world in your head, it is truly amazing.
  • I loved MC’s passion: Lou wants to be a doctor so bad you can feel it! You know she will truly be an amazing doctor if she ever gets the chance.

(sombody got mad about me saying that these were epic fails - which to me when I say epic fail I mean sometihng I (as in KARE) didn't like. It can go as far as not liking the 'villian' to sex scenes- so for the sake of that person I will call this section warnings)


Warnings:


I need to warn you about some stuff not that it really effects the plot but I think might be helpful in choosing this book. Though I love most of it I found that there were some things I didn't exactly like because of my personal beliefs. So please note:


1. The main character is a Lesbian. The description said nothing of it so I just wanted to let you know.
2. The Epilogue has a sex scene with her lover (so avoid the Epilogue if, like me, you'd rather not read about sex)


Overall:
I wouldn’t recommend this book because of my personal beliefs but if those things don't bother you then this is an amazing book!


just sayin,
-Kare

1 comment:

  1. i really like how you fashion your review with the 'epic wins' and 'epic fails'! And I totally agree about the sex part - at least hint in the description that its overtly sexual and/or needs to be categorized under lesbian/gay lit! great review!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.