August 18, 2011

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan



Epic Wins:
  • Rose- Complex heroine. She is butt-kick in her own way. Doubt be her downfall but that makes her easy to relate to.
  • Otto- Intreging. He is just as complex as rose. He genuinely cares for Rose in a sweet way. They are friends but could become more with time. He is my favortie!!
  • Zavior- Her adorable dog named after her old boyfriend.
  • Xavior- The old boyfriend. As Rose unburys her past you see just how much he ment to her. They just know eachother so well.
  • It's a futuristic Sleeping Beauty. Take one part original sleeping beauty fairy tale and add crazy cool technology. Mix well.
  • Words- You know how we say words like epic and our parents said things like groovy? In this future they have there own words which include but are not limited to: Coit, Sky, Burn (ing, er). I thought this was a cool thing because in the future I expect the next generation will come up with their own words.
  • The Gadgets: Stass tubes (sleeping machine/ Human Freezer), Limoskins (hover limos), Notescreans (like a computer or laptop), and cells (holographic cell phone). These are just a few but I liked the idea of one day getting to use something like that.
  • Bren- He is really nice to her but I think of them as just friends.
  • I just love the concept its so original and refreshing. . I can't believe how smooth the transition from fairy tale to science fiction was.
  • The writing was [incert word that means epic]. I was hooked by the characters and setting and oh just everything!
  • There were some twists I saw comming but others sort of walked up to me and waved there arms for hours and finally smacked my forehead. I got the messeage.
  • Rosie has this amazing passion for art.
Epic Fails:
  • The shiny plastic guy bent on killing Rose.
  • Rose's 'care takers', they were sort of creepy. She always felt like she wasn't safe when around them. Awkward.
  • Her parents REALLY messed her up, basically it was abuse.  I can't say I liked them too much.

Quotes:

"My name is Rosealina Samantha Fitzroy. I am 100 years old. I am free, but I am haunted. But if nothing else I am wide awake."

"..the unfathomable abyss inside your soul..."

Overall:

So Stacey from Flippin Fabulous mentioned that she totally loved the book so I decided to check it out. Oh man, I am so glad I did. A tale of struggles, finding who you are, and that you have a voice.

just sayin,
-Kare

2 comments:

  1. I just got my copy today, and I can't wait to get started. It sounds pretty good, despite the creepy plastic guy and abusive parents. I especially like that the MC is a strong heroine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite reads this year! I had the author on my blog for a guest post and everything!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think was an epic win or an epic fail, or if you feel like it make robot sound like beep beep boo bop. Really I could careless just keep it clean.